Ok, well you know we had a HUGE car to get everything over the mountains from San Francisco....
We did not need that big a car after that, so we headed over to visit the Millers in Washoe Valley, to collect the ski gear we left from our earlier trip in October. We stayed and had a lovely supper, spent a bit of time with those who were around, and then spent the night (huge car lurking in the corner of Garage 4)
Sunday morning, another beautiful day, and we head out to Reno-Tahoe airport in Reno, to swap cars from the Huge Beast to the rather more demure Sewing-machine-on-wheels. We still opted for 4 wheel drive, as when it finally snows around here, chains, 4 wheel drive or snow tires are required... sometimes all at once!! Of course, much like carrying an umbrella to keep it from raining, I think we have cursed this place for snow by taking another 4 wheel drive!
We moved the ski gear from the Huge Beast into the terminal in Reno, as THIS car we actually rented from Dollar..... So we went to the Dollar desk, and they have a rather cunning system which is all computerised, so no going through and adding your initials to everything on a silly piece of paper... the screen comes up with all the items you take or decline (CDW, SLI etc) which you click OK on, then you sign on the touch screen. All very easy. Of course that was when we were allocated the Sewing-Machine-on-Wheels. A bright Blue Dodge Nitro. Quirky, smaller than you would think, in terms of fitting skis in (for a 4 wheel trive!) but it DOES have Sirius Satellite Radio!! What a brilliant idea!! like an ipod shuffle built in!
Once more over the mountain, with a spot of shopping at WalMart and Costco on the way to stock up our kitchen!
But still no snow....... Heavenly have taken the forecast opening day off the website, as they don't want to over-promise anything..... and they're making snow like crazy, so it hopefully won't be long before they actually open! 2 runs, Dipper and Comet (or something like that) are forecast until some real snow falls.... so a trip up the Gondola will be necessary to get to the snow!
So the next task is getting California Drivers Licenses. Why? I hear you asking.... well, as Paul had to come in on a Green Card, he is considered a resident, and residents must apply for a local license within 10 days of entry into the USA. So, with the California DMV handbook duly downloaded, off we head to the South Lake Tahoe office of the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Three staff work here.... which means one on break, on serving paper-handling customers, and one doing the driving tests.... so it was busy with people queueing, and long waits. But we eventually get up to the desk. Paul pays his $28 fee and heads off to take his written test, which he passes. Next for him is a driving test, scheduled for 22nd December!
As for me...... well, who would have thought I needed to update Social security with my married name before I could apply for a license!! I have been duly filling in tax returns all these years when living in the UK, but never actually let the SS office know I had changed my name in my passport. So, I found our nearest Social Security office, which is back over the mountains in Placerville (an hour's drive). As they would not have been open if we left after Paul's successful test results, we headed home for a lovely dinner!! Small kitchens take some getting used to, but Paul is managing brilliantly!
So - new morning (where snow was mentioned as a possibility overnight??!!!) and some clouds (way up high) and no snow. We head over the mountain, with Paul driving using his new temporary California License as practice before he takes the actual driving test! The scenery was jaw dropping and still just as stunning as anyone could imagine! We found the Social Security office without any problems.... and took a number, and sat down to wait. About 20 minutes later, I was called forward, and with the paperwork I provided, I was duly updated, handed a printout, and promised a new SS card posted in the next 4 weeks. With my new printout, I was guided to try the Placerville DMV.
Finding the DMV in Placerville was easy, and it was amazing the difference here compared to the South Lake Tahoe office! There must have been 15 staff, all multi-tasking, keeping everyone appraised of what was going on - we did not have an appointment this time, but they gave me a number, and I sat down to wait again. No more than 10 minutes later, and I was in front of a lovely DMV agent..... who advised if I could provide details from the Vermont DMV (the location of my most recent US license, before I let it lapse when attaining a UK license) I would be able to just take the written test and be the proud owner of a shiny new California Drivers License!
But - apparently the Social Security system takes up to 72 hours to update, so once again, I get sent home without taking the test and without a new license. But at least with the hope I can get to it sometime soon! *(Next week????)*
so - trip back over Echo Pass, this time with me driving so Paul could appreciate the view..... and it looks like the clouds are lowering.... so please, we need some snow!
(of course, its still too warm to snow, so its more likely to rain..... we need a deep freeze too!)
Now just clarifying our plans for our first Thanksgiving at Tahoe!
25 November 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Jen! How fun to keep up with you this way! :) I love it.
ReplyDeleteIf Paul wants to golf, you could always come visit us...we live in golf country! ;)
Walmart??!! I did not know there was a nitro 4wd.
ReplyDeletecy
Do you have to sound so damn happy for all of us stuck behind desks and computers in offices in towns where there is no hope of snow! Bah Humbug!
ReplyDelete